Friday, March 2, 2012

Hello Lover....

Seeing as Sean and I do not have that typical 'meet in college, get an apartment, get engaged, have an engagement party, get married, buy a house, have children' relationship that you're "supposed" to have.....we do things rather differently sometimes.

Our finances have been pooled since the day we met. Like literally...I had known him for 48 hours and we had already linked our monies. We have never had "his money" or "my money".

We never make it to a holiday or special occasion when exchanging gifts. (its actually become somewhat of a tradition for us to NOT exchange on the day because neither of us has any patience! LOL)

I was the one who asked Sean to marry me. (well...I really said, "I promise never to hurt you, if you'll keep me forever......Will you?")  I asked him on our 3 month anniversary, after I had already booked us an appointment with the tattoo artist I use. He said yes (and I got to keep my appt! HAHA), and we hopped in the car and went and got our rings tattooed on. I wanted him to know that I wasn't like everyone else. I wanted him to know that when I look him in the eyes and say, "I love you", that I mean it. I wanted him to know that i would be his just as long as that ink stays in his skin.

Yesterday, Sean did something else most people don't do. He showed me the REAL ring I will be getting, soon. Soon, not now. We have children and responsibilities. And we have had a few hard years trying to get on our feet having started out relationship as a 21 year old non-college student, and a 25 year old separated (soon to be) Daddy of two.

You see, I am the type of girl who REALLY appreciates symbols and gestures of love. I'm not one who just says I do. To me looking at the picture of this ring, and knowing that it will symbolize all the years and all the work we have put into our love....could almost bring me to tears. Knowing that he worked hard to put money into it, and responsibly decided not to pay the final portion off and deplete our savings....matters to me. Knowing that I have a man, who thinks enough to light candles and have two wine glasses ready for me when I get home from work on a random Thursday, just to show me that he loves me....MATTERS.

So, hello soon-to-be friend. I love you and everything you stand for <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment